This is a great non-dairy/non-soy version of sour cream. It tastes delicious and is less expensive to make than the cashew version. It is great served on taco salad, fajitas, or anything else you would put sour cream on. (Or you can eat it by the spoonful, which is how my kids like to eat it!) This is one time when you can let the kids eat as much sour cream as they want! It actually makes the meals even more filling I've found. The leftovers are also great served as a dip for veggies. Make sure you use raw, unsalted sunflower seeds-not roasted. I buy mine in the bulk bins at my local health food store. Keeps for about 2 days in the fridge.
Sunflower Seed Sour Cream
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup water
4 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 garlic clove pressed (or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder)
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Place ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Can't wait for this one too! I tried some vegan sour cream once, and it was terrible!! I've done the cashew cream for whip cream and cream in pastas - but never sour cream. I, myself, would eat the regular sour cream by the spoonfull. Glad I've got a version I can use now! Thanks!
Wowzers! I have never heard of such a thing. I am excited to try it out!
Post a Comment