Friday, January 15, 2010

Grandma's Clam Chowder

This recipe is from my Grandma Mac.  It is super creamy and rich.  I always make it for our Christmas Eve dinner.  Very yummy for any special occasion though.


Clam Chowder
2 (6 oz. each) cans minced clams
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup finely diced celery
2 cups finely diced potatoes
1 carrot, grated
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup butter (I usually cut this down to about 4-6 Tbsp.)
1 quart half and half (I use 3 cups milk and 1 cup cream, half and half, or evaported milk)

Drain clams and pour clam liquid over vegetables in a sauce pan.  Add enough water to cover.  Simmer over medium heat until vegetables are tender.  In separate sauce pan, mix flour and melted butter.  Add half and half, salt, and sugar.  Cook until smooth.  Add to vegetable mixture with clams and heat together until warm.  Serves 8.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Mmmmm, we have made this quite a few times this winter already, and I always make homemade bread bowls to serve it in...it makes it even yummier!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin