Friday, July 17, 2009

Creamy Portobello Broccoli Soup

I wanted to create a recipe that was as close to my Grandma's Cheese-Broccoli Soup as I could get, without the 2 lbs. of Velveeta cheese! (Because let's face it, that just can't be healthy!) I have to admit...this soup turned out better than I could have imagined! Soooo good and creamy! And the amazing part is that it doesn't contain any cheese or dairy! If you don't have portobello mushrooms then go ahead and use regular but don't leave out the mushrooms! If you'd rather not use the beef bouillon cubes then just use regular salt to taste. Also, I think a can of white Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained, could be good in this.

Creamy Portobello Broccoli Soup

SAUTE IN LARGE SOUP POT:
3/4 cup onion, chopped
1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large portobello mushroom, chopped

ADD:
6 cups water
4 Beef Bouillon cubes (or salt to taste)
Boil together until dissolved.

ADD:
8 oz. spaghetti, broken into fourths
Boil 5 minutes.

ADD:
1 (16-20 oz.) package frozen chopped broccoli
1/4 tsp. garlic powder

IN SEPARATE MIXING BOWL COMBINE:
4 Tbsp. flour
1/2 cup cold water
Whisk until smooth. Gradually add 1 1/2 more cups of cold water. Stir until smooth. Add the flour mixture to the hot soup stirring constantly until well blended. This helps thicken the soup.

ADD:
2 cups non-dairy milk (such as rice or soy or regular milk if you prefer) This makes it creamy!
1/2 tsp. pepper
Cook 4 minutes or until broccoli and noodles are cooked.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin