Thursday, March 19, 2009

Santa Rosa Valley Salad

This is a very fresh salad that can be served as a main course. I personally think it is best the day after you make it. The flavors are all blended and the dressing soaked in by then. I usually just wait to add the chicken until right before I serve it. In the picture I didn't have a red bell pepper so I used green but that's the only difference. It even freezes well! My mom made up a couple batches right before my son Coen was born and it was great! Just don't add the garnish until you serve. You'll probably want to make a double batch anyway because let me tell ya...it's GOOD!

Santa Rosa Valley Salad

1 box Uncle Ben's seasoned long grain and wild rice (NOT instant)
Juice of 1 lemon (sometimes I leave this out)
1 red bell pepper, diced
4 green onions, chopped
3 chicken breasts, cooked and diced or 1 large can chicken breast
3 ounces snow peas ends removed, optional
1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
2 avocados, diced
red leaf lettuce for garnish

Cook the rice according to the package, but reduce water by 1/3 cup to prevent overcooking and the rice getting too mushy. Salad looks best with a firmer grain. Cool rice. Combine rice with lemon juice, red pepper, onions, and peas if using. Prepare dressing:

Dressing
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. Dijon style mustard
1/2 tsp. salt (I usually reduce to 1/4 tsp. or omit entirely)
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until emulsified. Pour over rice mixture and mix well. Refrigerate 2-4 hours or overnight. Add chicken about an hour before serving. Just before serving, add pecans and avocados. (I usually just let each individual put the pecans and avocados on rather than mixing it into the salad in case there is leftover salad that I can save for later.) Serve on a bed of red leaf lettuce.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin