I love a good bowl of potato soup on a cold evening! This is a healthier rendition without all of the cheese. Still nice and thick and creamy with lots of flavor!

Potato Corn Chowder
10-15 small red potatoes (I use about half of a 3 lb. bag)
1/2 onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 can chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup frozen corn
2 cups milk (I use Soy milk)
1 can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 c. crumbled bacon or real bacon bits (if desired)
salt & pepper to taste (I like to use Lawry's Garlic Salt-coarse ground with parsley)
Wash potatoes and cut into small cubes. (I like to leave the skins on but if you prefer to peel them go ahead.) Boil until soft-about 20 min. Sauté onion and garlic in a tablespoon of butter or olive oil. Set aside. When potatoes are done, drain just a little over half of the water. I transfer my potatoes to my Kitchen Aid mixer and beat them with the wire whisk until about half mashed. Leave some potatoes big and chunky. (Or you could just use a masher and mash them right in the pot.) Place back into cooking pot. Add broth, milk, corn, beans, onions and garlic, and seasonings. Heat until warm. If too thick, add more milk or broth. Sometimes I like to add 1/2 c. salsa to change up the flavor. Garnish with sour cream, shredded cheese, chives, and/or bacon if you'd like.
No comments:
Post a Comment