Friday, May 21, 2010

Homemade Salsa

This is the salsa recipe we make at our house.  It originally came from Tory's Aunt Teresa but my sister-in-law, Wendy, has definitely mastered it.  (If you have anything to add Wendy...feel free!)  It's super easy and super fresh and it gets better with time (if you can leave it alone!)  I use the term "recipe" loosely because it really all depends on the size of tomatoes, onion, and your own personal taste but this is the basic recipe.

Homemade Salsa
For each batch you need:
-About 3-4 medium size tomatoes (Roma or vine ripened tomatoes are the best.  The darker and riper the better!)
-1/3 of a medium purple onion (MUST be purple onion...not yellow or white)
-1-2 jalapeños depending on your taste.  (Again, the darker the better.  The darker ones tend to be hotter, if you can find a dark one that's on the small side that should be pretty hot, sometimes you can smell the heat, too.  If the jalapeños smell really hot then I usually only use half of 1 for a batch.  Leave out seeds for less heat as well.)
-Cilantro, pretty much according to your taste, but don't leave out!  I like to grab about a handful of leaves for mine.  Probably around 1/2 cup.
-Garlic Salt-this pretty much makes all the difference in the recipe!  If at the end it seems like it's missing something...it probably needs more garlic salt.

Cut the tomatoes and onion into small pieces.  Put in food processor bowl.  Add jalapeño.  (I cut the jalapeño separately to make sure it gets diced very fine before I add it to the food processor.)  Place cilantro over the top.  Sprinkle garlic salt over everything.  Pulse until small pieces but do not puree.  Taste.  If you need more garlic salt then stir it in.  If it's too salty do another batch with less and mix them together.  If I'm making a lot I like to do 2-3 batches each separately and then mix them together in a bowl.  I think it turns out better than doing one big giant batch.  If you want it thicker, add a can of tomato sauce at the end.  Adjust seasonings.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin