Saturday, April 17, 2010

Creamed Potatoes and Peas

This dish is great as a main dish or as a side.  The peas and potatoes with the creamy sauce make it very hearty.  Quick to put together and easy to make vegetarian.  I make my white sauce with almond milk.  You can also use regular milk, canned milk, soy milk, or even...cream!  Whatever makes you happy.  The last time I made it I threw in some bacon bits.  Enjoy!

Creamed Potatoes and Peas
10-12 small red skinned potatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
2 cups frozen peas
2 Tbsp. diced onion
1 Tbsp. olive oil (or you can use butter)
1 1/2 cups milk
2 T. flour
1/4 tsp. thyme leaves
1/4 tsp. dill
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Wash potatoes.  Skins can be left on.  Cut larger potatoes in half.  Place potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water and cook for about 10 minutes.  Add frozen peas and continue to cook 5-10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. (Or cook peas separately if you don't have enough room in your pot.)

Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a saucepan.  Saute onion until tender; add flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in milk using a whisk to remove any lumps. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Add thyme and dill; cook until thickened and bubbly. Drain potatoes and peas; place in a serving bowl. Pour sauce over and stir to coat. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

Ruth H. said...

Heather - I'm glad you've been visiting my blog. Thanks for the nice comments! I'll try to post the whole wheat cookie recipe, soon. I have my own wheat grinder, which makes very, very fine wheat flour (better than anything I've ever purchased at the store). I've found that this gives me the ability to throw whole wheat flour into practically anything without anyone being the wiser.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin