Here's a little recipe I invented this week. I've been trying to decide what to call these but I can't seem to come up with anything except yummy. Tory's main word he kept using to describe them was "fresh". We had them for dinner so I don't know if "breakfast" is the right word either. But...they DO have collard greens in them! Ha! Call them what you want. They are tasty and my whole family gobbled them up. You could easily make this vegetarian by leaving out the eggs and adding white, pinto, or black beans or scrambled tofu instead. I think some mushrooms and/or peppers would have been good in here, too. Whatever you do, don't scrimp on the collards! So delicious and very "fresh".
Fresh Collard Breakfast Burritos
1/2 onion, diced
8 large collard leaves (at least!)
2 cups leftover brown rice, or cook up some fresh
3 eggs, beaten
1-2 avocados
lime juice
salsa
tortillas
Cut out tough center stems in each collard leaf and discard. Stack leaf pieces together and roll tightly lengthwise (like a cinnamon roll). Slice into thin pieces and then slice through each of those to make small pieces of the collard leaves. Set aside.
In large skillet, saute onion in a little olive oil. Add collards. Saute for about 5 minutes. Add brown rice and heat through. Push contents over to one side of the skillet and add beaten eggs. Scramble eggs until about half-way cooked and then mix with rice and greens. Season with salt and pepper if desired. I, of course, used my favorite Mrs. Dash-garlic and herb.
In a small bowl mash avocados and a few squirts of lime juice (and salt if desired). To assemble burritos I like to spread the avocado mixture on the tortilla first (helps hold it all together). Then put egg/rice/greens mixture on top. Top with salsa!
This recipe made 8 burritos.
Friday, February 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment