Saturday, September 12, 2009

Roasted Vegetables Over Quinoa

I'm not going to lie. This was so good and so easy and smelled so yummy while it was cooking. Seriously. Some of the young men in our ward were at our house the night I made this. They met at our house before heading out to go do a service project and I didn't think they were going to be able to leave. It was so funny! Apparently they've been talking about eating healthy and healthy food choices because I heard comments like, "So is that healthy food cooking?" and "Those are just vegetables cooking?" and the best one "Vegetables smell that good?" Yes. They smell that good. And they taste even better. And now I'm going to have to make this again tonight because these pictures are making me hungry...and because I have all of the ingredients! You can adjust the amount you need by adding more or less vegetables. Next time I'm adding more! And of course you could add any other vegetables like celery, sweet potatoes, etc. Just fill your baking pan up! I served it as a main dish but you could make it a side as well.

Roasted Vegetables Over Quinoa

3 large potatoes, washed and cut into 1 inch pieces (I left the peels on)
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
1 onion, chopped into large pieces
1 green bell pepper, cut into 1" pieces
2 zucchini, cut into 1" pieces
olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
Mrs. Dash or favorite seasoning

Throw all vegetables into a 9x13 (smaller or larger baking dish depending on how much you're making). Drizzle a little bit of olive oil over the top. A little goes a long way! You can always add more as they're baking if it seems too dry for you but the vegetables kind of produce their own juices and I don't know about you but I don't really like my food swimming in oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and your choice of seasonings. I tried a new one this time and it was soooo good! Mrs. Dash Grilling Blends: Chicken flavor (black lid). Wow! So yummy! My other standby that I normally use is Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb (the turquoise color lid). Stir to coat all vegetables evenly. Place in oven preheated to 400 degrees. Bake for 20 min. Stir. Place back in oven for 10-20 min. (Time varies depending on sizes of vegetables. If you want it to bake faster, cut your vegetables in smaller pieces.) I usually test the potatoes to see if they are done since they tend to take the longest. Serve over cooked quinoa-1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water. Make sure you rinse the quinoa before you cook it. Cook in a covered pot for 15-20 min.

1 comment:

SaratogaHills1stRS said...

Brooke!!! This dish is wonderful! We had it for dinner tonight and it was LOVED by all!!! It was super, super yummy!! This is great! YUM!!!

May I make a suggestion: Can you make one of your labels for posts "quinoa"?

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin