Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Enchilada Skillet Bake

Otherwise known in our family as "Dallin's Favorite Dinner". It has the taste of enchiladas with the convenience of stove top cooking. This is one of my quick and easy meals that I usually try to have ingredients for. Serve with a salad and you've got a meal in less than 10 minutes. I originally got the recipe from my roommate, Emily, at BYU. There were 4 of us living in our apartment and we would rotate cooking meals for each other. This was my favorite meal of hers and I always loved it when she made it. I have since adapted it to my family's taste. The original recipe had ground burger in it (I believe...I can't remember exactly now) and shredded cheese melted into the mixture. I can't remember if it had corn or not. You can tell I've been making it "our" way for awhile now. I don't put any cheese in ours but occasionally I have added a tablespoon of cream cheese that I have leftover and that does make it creamy! You can make it with whole grain tortillas for a healthier variation. I used to always use Wal-Mart's store brand enchilada sauce but it isn't carried in our store anymore. I don't know if it's been completely discontinued or if it's just my store but I'm very sad about it. It was my favorite enchilada sauce fore sure! If you can find it in your store I would suggest using it...and if you're close to me let me know where you got it! :o)

Enchilada Skillet Bake

1 (10 oz.) can enchilada sauce
1/4 can water (or more if needed)
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
6-10 tortillas, depending on size

In large skillet, heat enchilada sauce and frozen corn until corn is warm. Rip tortillas into about 2" pieces. Stir to coat with sauce. Add tortillas until almost all liquid is absorbed. If it gets too dry just add water if needed. (I've added up to 1/2 can without any change in taste.) You can also add tomato sauce if it seems too spicy for your taste. Simmer on low stirring often for about 5 minutes or until tortillas are soft. Add pinto beans and stir until warm. Can add shredded cheese if desired. (I suggest trying it without cheese first. It's very good and really...you won't miss it or the fat and calories!) Serve warm with a salad on the side.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

Brocko! I have to tell you how much I am loving this blog! I know its been around for a while but since being married for a few months I feel like I need some new ideas, I LOVE this blog, it is so helpful. Thanks for all these wonderful recipes! I love you!!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin